We recently attended an amazing event hosted by Kit and Ace featuring four different professionals in creative fields who have businesses that have them traveling a lot for work and that got us thinking of what our travel tips would be! For Behind the Blush, 2017 is the year of travel as we go across the globe to places like Montreal, Italy, Nice, Croatia, London, Banff, Jasper, Emerald Lake, Whitehorse, Vegas and Palm Springs! So we thought we would talk about some of the tips and tricks we we live by when traveling for work! When we are traveling for a clients wedding or any kind of hair and makeup booking we always have to check our bags. We have so many products that we bring along with us including liquids that make a carry on only nearly impossible. Any of our more fragile items of our kits like powders we bring in our carry on to ensure they end up at our destination without any damage. The amazing duo of Fieldwork Co. created the perfect carry on kit bag as it can convert from a messenger bag to a backpack and they customized the size to fit a small makeup kit bag. We couldn’t recommend them enough to create a bag or accessory for you!
Pro Makeup Kit Packing Tips
If you haven’t met your client yet have them send a photo of themselves as well as any inspiration photos of what kind of look they want. From there you can ask them what their skin type is and if they have any skin concerns and that should help you decide what to pack. If it is for a destination wedding with only one or two clients you can also ask your client to bring their own personal favorite foundation and concealer. I still bring a few foundation and concealer options that I can mix in case if I find maybe they got tanned while they’re on vacation.
- Primers: Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer and the Cane + Austin Prime and Protect Mattifying Primer with Broad Spectrum SPF 50.
- Foundations: MAC Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof Foundation in shades NW20 and NC35 (the shade that I am and then a darker more yellow toned one to mix with it). The MAC foundation was also featured in our May favorites post here. Cover FX Custom Cover Drops in N20 and G60 to mix in with the MAC foundations I am bringing.
- Concealers: MAC Prep +Prime Highlighter pens in Radiant Rose, Light Boost and Bright Forecast. Lancome Tient Idole Ultra Wear Camouflage Concealer in 120C. Tarte Shape Tape Contour Concealer in Light and Light Medium. MAC Studio Conceal & Correct x 6 : Cover Me
- Setting Powders: Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette, NARS Light Reflecting Pressed Setting Powder and MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural or Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Finish Powder??
- Cream Products: Pink House Organics Glow sticks in Rose, Rose Gold, Copper, and Ice, Milk Makeup Eye Pigments in Gig and After Party, Stila Convertible Color Dual Lip and Cheek Palette , travel size of the BECCA Shimmering Skin perfector Liquid Highlighter in Opal.
- Eye Shadows: MAKE UP FOR EVER metal palettes since they have a foam insert to protect powders – bringing two of the large palettes – one for eye shadows and also one for skin powders.
- Mascara: MAC In Extreme Dimension Waterproof
- Blush: Charlotte Tilbury Cheek to Chic blush in First Love, Too Faced Blush and BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector Luminous Blush in Camellia
- Bronzer: Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze & Glow
- Highlighter: Dior Nude Air Luminzer Powder
- Lipsticks: MAC Select Lip Palette x 6 and the Stila Palette
- Liners: MAC Lord it up, Powersurge, Nude liner and Black Liner
- Setting Spray: MAC Fix Plus, Ben Nye Final Seal, Super Goop SPF50 setting spray
- Brushes: beauty blender
- Lashes: Ardell Individual Lashes in short, medium and long
- Miscellaneous tools: Lash curler, little scissors, tweezers, lash glue, brush cleanser, isopropyl alcohol to sanitize, hand sanitizer, makeup wipes, disposable makeup wands
Pro Hair Kit Packing Tips
Make sure all of your hot tools are dual voltage by checking on the manufacturer’s label and that way you won’t end up frying expensive tools.
- Hot tools: Hot Tools Mini Travel Dryer, GHD Curve Creative Curl Wand, GHD Curve 1.25″ Soft Curl Iron, 1″ Aria Beauty Luxury creative straightener
- Brushes: teasing/lifting comb, round brush, Bex paddle brush, and Denman Classic Styling brush
- Cutting tools: scissors, trimmers, clippers, cutting comb
- Styling tools: clips, bobbi pins in various colors, clear elastics, elastics
- Products: Pink House Organics dry shampoo in Blondie and Hot Chocolate (for the blondes and brunette’s on the trip), Davines: medium hold hairspray, shimmering mist, dry texturizing spray, oi oil, oi non oil, shine wax, dry wax, texturizing dust, sun protector su milk, and sea salt spray
- Some unique hair accessories from Apse Adorn to help spice up a hair style
- Travel power adapter for each country you are visiting and an extension cable